How to measure your window hinges
A question we commonly get asked.
It is very simple to do and usually does not require removal of the hinge from the window at all. Just follow the simple steps below to measure and identify which type of hinge you need.
Step 1. Check the hanging of your window.
- If the handle is on the SIDE of the window, you need SIDE Hung Window hinges.
- If the handle is at the BOTTOM of the the window you need TOP HUNG hinges.
Step 2. Measure the length of the hinge.(A)
- The length is the track part that you can see when you open your window. Your old hinge may be a 10" but if you can fit a larger hinge in then do that. The few pennies extra will pay you back in extra years of service due to better weight distribution.
Step 3. Measure the width of the hinge. (B)
- Measure the width of the track that you have just measured, this could be either 15mm or 18mm.The most common one is the 18mm and is fitted on 90% of windows.
Step 4. Measure the stack height.
- This is not the easiest bit the do, the stack height is the actual thickness of the hinge. This can be difficult without taking the hinge off. Don't worry, THERE IS A WORKAROUND. We advise buying a pack of Hinge packers for a few pound that will enable all of our hinges to fit on your window regardless of the stack height. This will make you job infinitely easier and you will only have to remove the window opener once.
There are 2 different stack heights, 13mm and 17mm. The packers we sell clip on nice and snug to make the 13mm hinges up to 17mm with a simple clip on action.
Click here to go back to the UPVC WINDOW HINGES Category page